Saturday, May 9, 2009

My first VOTING Experience

Well...not a good time to start Voting!!! This was the first time I voted and the experience was seriously pathetic. I guess this is the thing which drives many youngsters away from politics and our country is still plagued by the old, not ready to leave politicians.
So, as a concerned citizen, I went to vote at 8:00 AM (trust me I don't even get up at 8 AM normally, not even during my exams). I was enthusiastic but there was something else waiting for me in the next 2 days of election "Mahaul". I saw the much hyped Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) and guess what, I got a shock (not an electrical shock by touching the machine)...it was like an asteroid coming from Mars and striking me right on my head. There were a couple of EVMs connected in series containing names of 30 odd candidates. The shock was these candidates were contesting elections from my own city and I knew the names of only 2 of them...even the people sitting there knew 14 candidates at max and according to my research in newspaper thereafter, I found out that only 5 or 6 candidates tried to do some campaigning on a bigger scale..big enough to win elections.
So if people don't know the candidates then how can they vote for them and if they can't then whats the purpose of placing another machine and adding to the colossal some of money spent in the elections.
My misery doesn't ends here. Next day, I was in Dausa for some work and I saw the biggest rally of my life. "Rally" will be demeaning as it was a POWER SHOW by the supporters of Kirodi lal Meena..I don't know what they were trying to prove...but were extremely happy as if he (hon. Kirori ji) won the election. They helped the common man by blocking the roads for 2 hours and threatening people who came in their way. The police and special force was just standing as a spectator waiting for them to leave and play with the law and order for as much time they wanted. If the ministers and the police are just adding to our woes, then whats the point in Voting!!!
I coudn't exercise the Section 49-0...I VOTE NOBODY and it hurts now....may be if many people do that, election commission should understand the public sentiment that none of the candidate was good enough to cast a vote for. Lets hope that the awareness of this one helps eliminating the non-qualified candidates and the democracy finds out a way towards improved politics.



3 comments:

  1. Well as rightly pointed out there are some very serious issues with the way voting goes out in our society. I was there at my hometown but havent received any voter id, so cunt avail my right(first reason towards my justification for not voting). Besides that I cant even recall a single candidate's name....so even if i had voted it would have been based on he party's brand name rather than individual credentials...well leaving all this aside, the main reason is that I dont believe in any of the parties....BJP & Ram-Mandir are inseparable issue for me....while Manmohan singh is a very well educated but tamed......so wen 2 largest parties dont give even a handful of options then it is shameful ...well one may argue that i shud take the onus if i dont like the system but the thing is every individual shud do something out of interest rather than responsibilty n onus....saying such wd nt bail me bt i m nt the right person as well..so wat can b d solution??????this i left for u......Jai Hind

    ReplyDelete
  2. And people say you're grown up when you turn 18...I guess in India you get to see the REAL situation only when you go out to vote for the first time. Welcome to the unfair-chaotic world buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm i seem to agree with u....
    thanks for the welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete