Thursday, February 4, 2010

Not the end I expected to the D-day

Kids........way back in Sep 2008, something happened which was repeated in a similar fashion yesterday. 3rd Feb, a day in my life that I will never forget. Lemme xplain how....
One thing which every student of a college wants is a satisfactory job with good profile and handsome package in a great company. But my preferences were somewhat different. I wanted a job which could offer me a handsome salary, in a reputed organization and then yeah...some known and reasonably well profile (the three points mentioned do have a priority order)

So I jumped into the war which was more intense than the freedom struggle (looking at the way some of my DEAR friends behaved during the GDs that we had). I had a few processes scheduled for the day and my friends had lot of confidence that I'll get placed easily in these companies on the day zero.

But I was tensed and this led me down in a couple of processes. When I came out of this fear and agony, I had only two important and one ok-ok types company in my hand. So I went for the GD of the ok-ok types and trust me giving that the name of a GD will be a sin. It was scheduled for 10 min and I was forced to keep quiet for 9 minutes. Then I spoke a point and then was asked to summarize by the moderator. So this was more of a war since there were persons (though i DESPERATELY want to name them, but ETHICALLY i shouldn't) who had just one thing in mind - they had to speak and speak and speak and not let others do this one thing which I believe everyone was good at, obviously except me (am i getting modest here??? I guess not !!!)

So being eliminated from here, I had to rush to the process of the company which I wanted to join at any cost (note that I haven't used the word DESPERATELY and this was intentional). But the GD had already started there and I just got 2 mins to read the case as against 5-7 mins taken by others. Well not to blame neone here, the discussion started and I spoke decently well since I analysed it decently well and surprisingly I cleared the GD.

Now comes the most interesting part of the entire day: tussle between the last company's(Comp A) PI and the new company (comp B) which just came to campus. Comp B takes interviews and leaves the campus in a short time and does not wait for neone. Comp A is taking 30 mins interviews. In the interview list, I was 7th or 8th for A, but suddenly the order changed and I was neither called for A nor for B. So, after a long wait, i was called for A and then I made some "jugad" to go to B first and give the interview. So I reached company B and the interview started:
I: Gold medalist..hmmm Tell me different layers in road
Me: there are 3 layers
I: there are 6. tell me 6
Me: Don't know
I: tell me difference between Bitumin 50 and Bitumin 500
Me: don't know
I: tell me different types of footings
Me: Column, Isolated, stepped,......mmmmm......
I: ye to koi bachcha bhi bata de,...tum to CIVIL Engg aur GOLD MEDALIST ho....aur batao
Me: Don't know
(Thinking in mind - what profile is he hiring for - something related to construction????----doubtful...)
I: What do we do
Me: Told
I: how do we do this
Me: Don't know
I: why do you want to join us
Me: Don't know...just looking at a different kind of profile and faff
I: some technical questions
Me; toote foote answers with lots of don't knows in between
I: do u have any locational constraints
(Shocked by this question - since the interview was comparatively pathetic but they asked this question,,,,in excitement i said no, i can work anywhere)
I: thanks, we will let u know
So the person handling the company goes in and tells more abt my candidature but the company calls in next candidate and my chances of getting thru get blurred
So I move to comp A where I was the last one to enter the interview process and
I: so ankit, u r late again
Me: (smile....nothing else that i can do)sorry sir
I: some technical questions
Me: Some technical very satisfactory answers......by far the best interview I had ever

But the company had already taken "n" (they came with a mindset of "n-1") and they can't take more. So i was disappointed and heartbroken. Everyone was with me consoling that Ok, u'll get placed tomorrow ......no issues....but human behavior- "It hurts more when ur friends are placed and u r not"...so I was in extreme pain...

I went to my room, changed, cried (not literally but figuratively) for 15 20 mins and then went back downstairs. After another 20 mins or so, came a phone call which completely changed my life. The person was my roomie and he said that u r thru in comp B. Ohh my dear lord.....this was the last thing that i expected to come to me......thank god...i rushed to confirm and then a huge huge sigh of relief towards the end of the day........

Then my T-shirt was torn and got my ass kicked (the most hardest of my stay here) but I was elated and was feeling no pain.....I finally got a job...but was not sure of the PACKAGE and less importantly profile they offered....so I asked someone and then was extremely joyful to hear that both these things were way above par.....

So overall the day ended in an exciting and thrilling way for me...
So kids...never lose hope because it ain't over till its over......chillax njoii

6 comments:

  1. congrats dude n well written.. altho i dont understand y u had to refrain from stating the company names.. (not quoting the pay package is understandable :))

    anyways.. congos once again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gud to have your placement day etched down in words...Can go back and read it years later..i should have done the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rahul - Confidentiality is always better...suspense u can say...but i didn't feel like specifying the names
    @MATHu - yeah it will be a great memoir....

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was nice......pretty cute behavior in the interview (the don't knows wala part)....
    well done dear and congos once again

    ReplyDelete
  5. woww that was nice.....mujhe bhi kuch interview tips de dijiye janab :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well well well....yeah that was me who called u.....but i was more ecstatic than u for sure when i received the info.....neways congos roomie and well articulated

    ReplyDelete